Saturday, May 13, 2023

Speed Run MO-201

It was frustrating to mindfully watch all the videos but still not know how to do the applied laboratory. Then I realized one thing: I can't learn passively. In the last two big chapters, instead of watching tutorials, I opened the laboratory and clicked on "show me" and "do this later" to learn the features and then practice them instantly. I did the remaining 10 small chapters in 2 days.

Learning something new and complicated is really tough for me. But you know, if you are learning something comfortably, you are probably wasting your time because you are not learning but repeating like at the bottom part of Bloom's Taxonomy.

After MO-201, I gained a little more persistent mentality and an active learning strategy. In the future, when I learn programming, I will dirty my hands with codes and watch tutorials at the same time rather than watching tutorials for an hour first.

6 comments:

  1. One of the best post this semester!

    Sage observations permeate throughout all three paragraphs of your blog post ^_^

    "Can't learn passively" and "Practice them instantly"; yes, dirty your hands with codes and watch tutorials at the same time instead of watching then doing.

    Here something I heard years ago: "Growth occurs outside of the comfort zone". I am elated to hear you are improving your learning mindset and habits :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! This is huge man! I very much recommend practicing coding while you watch tutorials. Then retype your code from memory if possible and try to make it errorless! It is a challenge but eventually you'll start knocking the simple stuff that you had to look up a bunch of times out with ease!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That's awesome Tszchoi! It's the secret ingredient that turns "I have to study" into "I can't wait to learn!" This is the vibe I am getting from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you reevaluated what you were doing to make it work for you to accomplish your goals. Congratulations Tszchoi!! Keep going I know you'll accomplish much while also stopping to smell the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Tszchoi! It's awesome that you were able to find your preferred learning style and adjust your approach to the course material accordingly. It's encouraging that you developed a more persistent mentality and plan to apply active learning strategies in future courses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats a great learning strategy I'm glad that it worked out for you. That's amazing great job on accomplishing your goals I know you will become a great programmer.

    ReplyDelete