Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Seeking for a lifestyle that's suitable for me

Elon Musk works 100 hours a week. The motivational video told me: "If I wanna succeed, I gotta work harder." Compared to him, I was very lazy in the first half of the semester. So, after the semester break, I started focusing on studies 6 days a week and resting on Sunday. The first three weeks were pretty good, but the following week, I got totally exhausted mentally and almost did nothings except for mandatory assignments. The same incident happened again last week.

I've realized that my mental health can't be healed just by resting on Sundays. My life might seem fulfilling for first few weeks, but then I would get depressed for about a week. Now, a new strategy comes to my mind —stopping all the things in my hands and watching Netflix with English subtitles every day after 10 pm as a form of daily rest—

10 comments:

  1. Working hard is important but it is more important to work smarter, Tsz :-)

    Very glad to see you trying different patterns of working to promote your mental health ^_^

    A focused break at the end of each day while learning English is a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree with our professor, it is about working smarter. I would also challenge you to think about what you want you life to look like in the future. Do you want to say when it is all said and done that I'm glad I worked those 100 hours a week or do you want a life fulfilled and balanced. For people like Elon Musk, that work ethic might suit his personality and drive. It's not for everyone. I think happiness is life well lived, a life of wisdom and virtue.
    I hope you find your balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the future lifestyle I am looking for. I'd be glad if I could work 60 hours a week. In addition, I could also have 52 waking hours to do something else.

      Delete
  3. This is a good approach. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome. I am trying to set up a solid schedule for the summer to also stay on top of all of the things I NEED to study.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cool! implementing a solid schedule is not easy.

      Delete
  4. I'm with Elijah. I myself is also trying to set up a schedule for this upcoming summer classes that is coming up fast on my tail. But it always come back to 'time management' no matter how I create a schedule. It's a trial and error to adjust your routine to find what works best for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you can find your best plan to become a better self. I am with you!

      Delete
  5. It's important that we don't burn ourselves out with work it can interfere with our mental health and performance. I've been trying very hard to catch up with LabSim and have realized that I'm mentally exhausted and overwhelmed I need to have some time to do things that I enjoy to stay on my feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably feel the same. It takes a lot of time to enhance my persistence in studying.

      Delete
  6. While it's important to work hard and be dedicated to your studies, it's equally important to prioritize your mental health and avoid burnout. However, it's important to remember that everyone has different limits and needs when it comes to work and rest. Balancing productivity and relaxation is key to long-term success, both academically and personally. :)

    ReplyDelete