Saturday, February 4, 2023

Send me a lossless photo please

Recently, a girl sent me her selfie from Instagram inbox and I found it pretty fuzzy. Then, I saved the photo and looked at the detail of the picture, figuring out that the size of it was only 274.02KB. Usually, a photo taken from a phone is at least 1MB above. I know that she is not using the Nokia 3310, a old generation phone, so what is the reason of the blurred selfie? I solved the doubt by reading file compression facts from chapter 1.1.14, realizing that it is a lossy file type, the JPG. It is believed that the compression algorithm in Instagram heavily alters the data and thus the selfie loses more than 70% of the resolution. The best solution would be asking her to resend it through Dropbox in order not to compress the picture or seeing the real person.

PS: the photo isn't authorized by the girl.

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful to hear that 1.1.14 File Compression Facts helped you understand compression facts and solve the mystery of why her photo is fuzzy!

    Very responsible and considerate of your block out her face :-)

    I hope she will send you a lossless photo ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I let her see your comment and she sent me more blurry photos.

      Delete
  2. I would of chop it to an older phone model but you analyzed it and figured it out. Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would have never occurred to me to figure out why the photo was fuzzy, I would have assumed it was just a bad picture. But you know what they say about assumptions. Good investigation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know Instragam altered the resolution of an imagine! That makes a lot of sense, actually. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Tszchoi, your usage of implementing your knowledge from chapter 1.1.14 to figure out why the photo came out blurry was very precise. I can use this information when assessing the reason behind other images that have low resolution and I will also make sure to figure out what type of file it is in order to make a decision if it is a lossless or a lossy file.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just imagine sending picture to your loved ones everytime in dropbox. Jeez! lot of work. Should get an iphone even the older model has good photo quality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never realized that Instagram altered the image so much. However, this makes sense as snapchat is very similar, especially when using the app on an android.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You figured out the sizing of her photograph that's impressive and was able to make the picture clearer. This course has definitely also helped me better understand word and excel functions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah I'm not going to lie that I would've also assumed that it was just a bad picture. I think it's really awesome that you were able to figure out that the picture itself was just a lossy file type.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As someone who takes photos on a very expensive camera, instagram destroying image quality with their compression truly does ruin my day :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you share a photo at a lower resolution, Instagram enlarges it to a width of 320 pixels. If you share a photo at a higher resolution, Instagram sizes it down to a width of 1080 pixels.

    ReplyDelete